Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Grain Free Brownie Recipe

Tiger Nut Brownies Grain Free

Today I decided to take a break from Quilting and do some baking. I've been grain free for a few months so I made these brownies for a group of friends some of whom are grain free.  I was asked for the recipe! 😳  Recipe?  To explain my confusion, in the tradition of my family we very rarely take measurements in our made up scratch recipes. I remember my grandma throwing in this and that and when I asked her for the recipe, she had no idea so she said just watch and I did. Last time I made these brownies, I took no measurements.  So since I expected it would be unlikely that the curious would come over and just watch,  I made them again and this time I did measure so guess what?...they will come out the same every time.  That's a good thing I suppose. 😏  These brownies are moist and chocolaty and just great and the recipe is ready to share.

Tiger Nut Chocolate Brownies©

Oven Temp: 350 F
serves: 32 brownies give or take
¾ C Tiger Nut Flour
¼ C organic non alkaline cocoa powder.
1 T arrowroot starch
½ t baking soda
½ t cream of tartar
2 t apple cider vinegar
1 t vanilla extract
½ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
½ C organic raw sugar

3 T Kerry Gold Butter at room temperature + 3 T walnut oil
3 Jumbo eggs

½ c semisweet mini chocolate chips
(I used Enjoy Life Semi Sweet mini chips - Amazon)
½ C walnuts chopped.
¼ C raw pumpkin seed
¼ C raisins
¼ C pitted chopped dates soaked in just enough purified water for a few hours or in microwave for 30-45 seconds: drain.
Reserve liquid. Makes a nice addition to green tea.

Grease (Kerry Gold or Almond Oil) a brownie pan (I used a pan with a bottom measurement of 8.5” x 10.5” ). Line bottom with parchment paper. Heat the oven to 350 F.

Pulse the walnut, raw pumpkin seeds, raisins, and dates till well chopped and mixed. I used a small food processor.

Mix the tiger nut flour, cocoa powder, arrowroot starch, baking soda, cream of tartar, sugar, and sea salt, into a small bowl and whisk them together until thoroughly combined.

Whisk together butter, walnut oil, and sugar in large bowl. Add eggs, vanilla, and vinegar.
Beat in dry ingredients 1/3 at a time.

Stir in pulsed ingredients and chocolate chips

Pour the batter into a prepared brownie pan and bake for 15-20 minutes (varies more or less I used convect bake for 17 minutes). The amount of time in oven depends on your oven, whether you use convect bake or just bake, and the size of your pan. Watch. When the center looks done, take out and test.
Test for doneness with toothpick in center. If comes out clean it’s done. Don’t let it get too done or brownies will  be dry. Cool for ½ hour or more. With parchment paper bottom,  lift out onto board or plate and cut into small pieces (very rich). If you have left overs. can be stored in freezer and they are very good freezer cold. I like them better frozen.

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Unfinished Projects

I haven't checked in for a while but I have been finishing up some UFO or CEO's (Completely Executed Objects - as the local quilt shop owner tags it).  It looks like my membership in the CEO club at Tomorrows Treasures in Ocala will be going on for years. 😏 I have that many.  The rules:  There is only one, one predetermined  UFO  must be completely finished in the one months time until the next meeting and that includes a label.  So far so good.  The CEO club goes for 6 months.  So each year, I'm to finish 12 UFO's.

January 2017 - Miniature Texas Star.  I started this quilt in January 2014 and finished in January 2017. Progress on this quilt can be seen on my previous blog. I started out naming it Texas Star Fish because of the fish fabric🐠🐠 used to make the Texas Star but ended up naming it Miniature Texas Star.  This wall quilt was hand pieced using Inklingo Shape Collections and hand quilted. 

Texas Star Fish Front

Texas Star Fish Back
February 2017 - Hearts at Storm:  The top was finished in the year 2000 using the paper piecing method and the storm at sea pattern.  It is machine pieced and machine quilted on my HQ Sweet 16 with free motion hearts.  It was finished in February 2017, but the label didn't get printed until March.  I like to make my own labels and thinking through and creating a label took me longer to do than the machine quilting.😉

Hearts at Storm

Hearts at Storm Back
March 2017 - Tumbling Stars.  I started this quilt in March of 2014 and finished in March of 2017 including the label.  Using Inklingo Shape Collections and moving the patches around on my design wall, I finally came up with a pattern I liked. 😊 This quilt is hand pieced and hand quilted.

Tumbling Stars

Tumbling Stars Back with Label
Well that's it for now.  I have more projects from last year and I'll fit them in a blog soon,  In the meantime I'll update as I move through the projects for this year. 

April 2017 - Coming up my next UFO is an Elsie Vredenburg pattern (Big Red) that I put together is the late 90's.  Elsie used paper piecing, but I found applique to be easier.   It now needs a border and quilting.  I haven't decided for sure but I'll probable machine quilt on my HQ Sweet 16.

Until next time