Saturday, August 9, 2014

MY TREATS REVERSE APPLIQUÉ

In the 90's I started to put my sewing skills to quilting.  I enjoyed piecing and spent hours in my sewing room. Then I discovered Appliqué.  Back then there wasn't much machine appliqué.  That came later, so I was lucky to find people with hand appliqué skills to help me along.  I took classes from my local quilt shop and fell in love with the process.  So much can be done with hand appliqué. Like hand piecing, it's portable and social. Most recently, I discovered Dutch Treat by  Judy Garden.  A very inspiring book.  If you have an interest, it can be purchased on Amazon. The blocks are done in reverse appliqué.

I have this beautiful fabric. It's black with shots of green, red, white.  It has metallic silver shimmers.

Hoffman Winter Wishes
I love it but I don't have a lot of it.  I decided to make a small quilt using some of Judy Gardens Dutch Treat blocks.  I'll also make some blocks of my own.  Here's what I've done so far.

I'll continue to make these blocks until I run out of fabric.  I love the hexagon.  So many possibilities come to mind.






1 comment:

  1. Your little appliqué blocks are wonderful. I love the little bird in the tree.
    It is a fabulous book, isn't it? I remember seeing the original Dutch Treat quilt - it was absolutely stunning.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. Would love to hear from you.