Tuesday, September 12, 2017

In Memoriam

My Fur Kid Augie died on September 7, 2017. He was 16. We had frequent Winter walks. I wrote this poem in 2008 after one of our walks in a wooded park near our home.

Our Winter Walk

We stood in forest on a path
Snow blowing 'round in swirls
Wind rushing past our faces.
High above us, birds and squirrels
Just me and my companion
Winter's smells and sights and sound
Traffic noises far away
Chattering and peeps all around
Then quick, my buddy's eyes lit up.
A rabbit crossed our path.
His muscles bulged to make a lunge
But manners held him back.
Just me and Augs
My furry love out walking in the snow.
Just us two with forest critters
Hugged by winter's soul.

© Sandra White
12/2008

3 comments:

  1. Sandy, I am so sorry for your loss. My Lynnie has been gone for over 5 years and I miss her every day. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry, Sandy. Your poem is beautiful. It is very sad to lose such a good friend. You were lucky to have him for so many years and to have such wonderful memories of your time together. I am sending good thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so very sorry. Your poem is very evocative - one can almost see you on that winter walk in the snow. I know how difficult it can be to lose a beloved pet - we lost Lester and Smudge over five years ago and I still miss and find myself looking for them sometimes. Gentle hugs.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. Would love to hear from you.